APCO Worldwide is a unique public affairs firm, with over 25 offices all over the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, APCO is an advisory and advocacy communications consultancy helping organizations in the public and private sectors. For over 35 years, APCO uses the brightest minds from an array of industries to come together to push change, driven by their core values: boldness, curiosity, inclusivity, and empathy.

As a member of their spring 2020 class, I interned in their New York City office. This experience exceeded my other intern positions simply because APCO is so large yet quite connected. I worked on accounts from the retail, tech, healthcare, insurance, food, and confectionery industries. One most truly has an entrepreneurial spirit to thrive in an environment where no two days look the same. Although a challenge, I mastered the art of pivoting to meet the demands of my days.

NYC team with Al Roker from a Lunch & Learn
Erica Rawlins (4th from L) with NYC team and Al Roker from a Lunch & Learn

The New York City office is significantly smaller than headquarters, but this allowed me to get to know colleagues on an amicable level. APCO has a robust intern program and the organization truly invests in its interns! Many colleagues started their careers at APCO after their internship. In fact, the current North American VP was a former intern! My intern coordinators encouraged informational interviews with higher-ups and provided professional workshops in areas we’d like to improve. I collaborated with teams in Seattle, DC, Chicago, and Raleigh offices. APCO Worldwide’s work culture stood out the most! Although there is a hierarchy within the organization, the team in the New York office made it clear that if you have a question you can always talk to them. In my time, I learned a lot from their Lunch & Learns and hosted events for Black History and Women’s History Month.

Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 pandemic the spring internship program was terminated in the North American offices. The unprecedented turn of events was frustrating, but even after the end of my internship I still heard from colleagues from my various accounts. They reached out and extended kind words due to my abrupt departure. To be honest, I did not take into account work culture in my job search and I have to thank APCO Worldwide for that. Unlike many other firms, it’s independently owned (no holding groups delegates) and majority-owned by women. The founder, Margery Kraus even dedicated a day for all North American interns to get to know her, in addition, to receive a copy of her book, Roots & Wings. APCO Worldwide is a place to grow and thrive professionally. There are many opportunities including APCO+, which is a team based out of the DC office. Entry-level participants spend 18 months in rotation learning about the core facets of public relations. Also, there is the Global Exchange program; this allows employees to work out of a foreign office for two weeks! That means you can collaborate and work with teams in London, Bangkok, Berlin, or Dubai office or where ever you choose. Despite my abrupt departure, my internship at APCO Worldwide was worthwhile!

Eric Rawlins graduated from the Maxwell and Newhouse Schools with a dual MAIR/MSPR degree in spring 2020. She also interned at the Brandman Agency. She currently works as a PR Consultant at AT&T.

Public Diplomacy and Global Communications Program

Erica Rawlins Learns to be Adaptable in PR