Lauren Romero Evaluates Inclusive Economic Development

The Near East Foundation (NEF) is the United States’ oldest nonsectarian international development organization, originally founded as the American Committee for Syrian and Armenian Relief in 1915.  Currently, NEF has projects in ten countries: Armenia, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Palestine, Senegal, Sudan and Syria. With local partners, they work to directly improve the lives of vulnerable people through sustainable agriculture, microenterprise development, women’s empowerment, civic education and peace building. Over the years, NEF has worked with the United Nations, the European Union, USAID, and a host of other organizations to facilitate their projects.

Lauren Romero on a call with her fellow Maxwell NEF interns.
Lauren Romero (bottom right corner) on a call with her fellow Maxwell NEF interns. Top L to R: Mahin Tariq, Ehsan Ghafourian, Sakshi Thorat. Bottom L to R: Sianeh Dennish, Dr. Laurent Dennis (NEF), Katie Smith

To complement my Maxwell Certificate of Advanced Studies in Post-Conflict Reconstruction, this summer I interned as an analyst for NEF’s Inclusive Economic Development (IED) program. Within IED, I conducted targeted analysis around key issues and questions associated with NEF‘s projects and theories of change to inform future program design. This is to help launch a new evidence lab designed to duplicate NEF’s impact beyond 2020.

After researching recent IED projects, which included Advancing Women’s Business in Palestine and Reducing Vulnerability of Syrian Refugees and Lebanese in Lebanon, I wrote summaries of nine projects, comparatively analyzed projects, and investigated the innovative Siraj Centers to identify project effectiveness and lessons learned. With my fellow program intern, Mahin Tariq, we analyzed the IED program as a whole and drafted a new IED Theory of Change. All program interns are collectively designing a 2020-25 Learning and Research Agenda. The final phase of my internship, which is set to complete in August, is to develop an IED key brief analysis.

While COVID-19 certainly brought about a new sleight of challenges, I was impressed with NEF’s ability to expose its interns to the extent of their global reach via a remote internship. My role as an analyst intern provided insight on how an NGO operates internally, and how to assess a project’s impact from initial proposal to final report.  My work as a remote intern with NEF was incredibly satisfying and gave me a greater appreciation for the imperative economic development work they have successfully conducted over the past one hundred years.

MAIR/MSPR Program at the Maxwell and Newhouse Schools
All Global Programs