Kibaek Kim at Asian Development Bank’s North American Office

The unique combination of my identity as an Asian and my schoolwork in International Political Economy (particularly in Developmental Economics) has made a perfect match with the work of the Asian Development Bank (ADB). ADB is one of the major multilateral development banks, which has 68 member countries including non-regional members such as the US and Canada.

Kibaek Kim at ADB
Kibaek Kim at ADB

The ADB’s North America Representative Office (NARO) has been focused on external relations with the US and Canadian governments and other multilateral development institutions. The work at ADB NARO offered me a remarkable opportunity to experience how Washington works to engage in international development.

Kibaek Kim's ADB ID
Kibaek Kim’s ADB ID

One of the most important missions I had during my internship was assisting the president and vice presidents of ADB to participate in the World Bank/IMF annual meeting. I was one of the ‘observers’, who are the representatives of international, regional and economic organizations that are invited by the World Bank and IMF. Also, I attended a number of events every week as one of the representatives of ADB NARO, which gave more chances to expand my networks.

Annual WB/IMF meeting
Annual WB/IMF meeting

ADB NARO consists of qualified team members in International Development. We would discuss current issues in this arena whenever we had a chance to talk, which really helped me to open my eyes wide to see and understand the situation in diverse and professional perspectives. I would strongly recommend to apply for this job if there are Maxwell students who are interested in the Asia and the Pacific region and International Development. ADB would be the best place to develop your career.

Kibaek Kim with ADB colleague
Kibaek Kim with ADB colleague
Kibaek Kim at ADB
Kibaek Kim at ADB

Kibaek Kim completed his MAIR degree in December 2020. He also interned at the Global America Business Institute in Washington, DC.

MAIR Program at the Maxwell School
Maxwell-in-Washington Program