Emily DiMatteo, Internship with Human Rights Watch’s Disability Rights Division and The Arc of the United States

During the fall 2021 term, I completed two remote internships with Human Rights Watch’s Disability Rights Division and The Arc of the United States. Human Rights Watch is a nonprofit NGO human rights organization that investigates and exposes human rights violations around the world. The Arc of the United States is a nonprofit that works to advance public policy for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. My internships with these organizations allowed me to further my interest in the intersection of public policy, disability rights, and international relations.

Visual Description: A blue square with white text that reads “Human Rights Watch”

Although I couldn’t complete the internships in person due to pandemic restrictions, I was able to gain valuable experience in different projects. With Human Rights Watch, I contributed to U.S. advocacy efforts related to the Congressional reconciliation bill. Specifically, we conducted advocacy for the funding of home and community-based services for older people and people with disabilities. I conducted background research, attended external meetings with Congressional offices, and published a dispatch for Human Rights Watch. My other projects included research on long-term care for older people and people with disabilities in South Africa and China, the impact of inaccessible emergency preparedness plans, and the impact of COVID-19 on people with disabilities. I was also able to attend trainings and virtual events.